Monday 18 April 2011

Apr 17 Barossa to Burra

We spent the morning back in Nuriootpa. My father grew up in this area of the Barossa Valley - in Light Pass actually, which is a couple of kms south of Nuri. As a child, I spent a few holidays in this area. We went in search of my Nanna's house and the graves of my grand parents and great grand father. We found the graves and I think we found the house. We also visited a lovely old house museum opposite the graveyard called Ruhr's Cottage. We've been there before in 2003 (with Emily, Ruby & Julia), but we were happy to visit again.
The grave of Robert's great grandfather - Triple F Koop
I think this is Nanna's old house...
Ruhr's Cottage - Dressing table made from kerosene boxes
We set off for Burra, which is an old mining town. We passed through Kapunda along the way, another old mining town. They celebrate their history with a large statue of a miner - an obligatory photo opportunity.

We stopped for lunch at Winklers Park just outside of Saddleworth. A very nice park with toilets, drinking water and lovely scenery. We would have stayed the night there, except that it was all fenced off to stop vehicle entry. Therefore we drove on another 50km to Burra as was the original plan.

We set up camp in the Burra Showgrounds and are very happy here. It costs $10/night, but we have power, toilets, water and one hot shower. A further attraction was watching some girls and their horses practicing their show jumping.
Our campsite at the Burra Showgrounds
Horse jumping free entertainment at the Burra Showgrounds
Moon rising at dusk
Princess, earlier in the day, after digging holes chasing something. Note the wads of dirt and grass stuck in her paws.

4 comments:

  1. Princess is so cute!
    It's great to find the roots of family history... Bring back a nice bottle from Barossa, Robert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww Prinny!!!! I think I remember the house-museum.... is that the one with the really short doorway? Are you planning to stop in and see Glenn and the other relatives?

    Can't wait to see you - one month to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I don't really remember being there... Did the house have a piano? Did we see the grave as well?? I think I would have remembered those German names...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad said that Princess looks like a kangaroo in this photo....
    I love how she is showing us her paws.

    ReplyDelete